Monday Group

OK - Big deep breath. This is a bit scary for me. But every journey must start with the first step - so here we go my first Virtual Monday Group meeting.

Welcome one and all. Firstly let me tell you a bit about Monday Group.
There is an actual Monday Group/class.  We met, obviously, on a Monday.  We welcome all new members no matter where they are on their quilting journey.

We usually have a project on the go in class. We help and encourage members to work at a pace that suits them as we try and help them develop their stitching skills. Also if any members need help or advice on their own projects we do our best to help them.

We also drink tea/coffee and eat cake/biscuits, show each other what we are working on, and plan trips and visits to quilty things. Oh, I almost forgot something very important. We laugh. A lot. After all this is a hobby, we are supposed to be having fun! I find the last sentence goes down very well, especially when someone is un-ripping a seam - a very long seam - for the second time.

 In our 'Virtual Group'  I'll  be able to share words, pictures and maybe some video of our work and trips but feel free to actually join in with the laughter, and the drinking of tea/coffee and the eating of cake/biscuits - us quilters have to keep our strength up.

I have had this blog for some time now. But felt it lacked a focus.  Although my blog has always been about patchwork/quilting. I knew I needed to hone in on some aspect of the craft. And then it hit me. Although I love patchwork and quilting my passion is sharing my knowledge and helping and encouraging others. So I thought what if I transferred my Monday group passion onto my blog.  So there we  have it - a 'Virtual Monday Group'.
I'm going to run this group alongside the actual group. We'll be following the same projects and I'll be sharing  Actual Monday's with  Virtual Monday's and visa versa!

I hope you are as excited as I am about this - ok, well I hope your a little bit as excited as I am about this.
Just think about it.  It doesn't matter where you live, what age you are, whether you are a beginner or not, if you already belong to a group, can't leave the house, or even if you can't make Mondays.  As long as you have an internet connection, your in.

I have so many plans for you all. And I hope some of you will feel happy to comment and share with the rest of the group.

So today marks our first Monday meeting. At the moment we are working on Logcabin blocks.
But let's not run before we can walk. This weeks assignment is to do a little research  on logcabin blocks. Don't panic I just want you to look at some different logcabin blocks (click on the logcabin blocks link to see some logcabin images). And next week I'll show you how to put together a basic logcabin block, which you will then be able to make up yourself as a practice/sample block.
                                                                                                               Yours in stitches, Joy x                          

Next blog update will be on 'Spotlight Wednesday'                                            


Comments

Deborah OHare said…
This is brilliant Joy.
Unknown said…
You may just have saved my sanity Joy. I can't get to Monday group for a while, Sue who I come with has strained her shoulder, and Helena has had an argument with a bollard that jumped in front of her car. So I can at least keep in touch brought cyberspace...hurrah.
Ros said…
Joy, this is great. You are sooo clever! You have an amazing ability to pass on information, in person and verbally.
Many thanks for your help and advice this morning and to Gaynor for sorting my log cabin blocks, and to Jane for advising on and cutting the fabric for "Gwladys' quilt"
See you all on weds am
ros
Ros said…
I meant virtually not verbally DoH!
Joyofquilting said…
Thanks everyone for you comments. I am so excited, this looks like it's going to be so much fun - I'm so thrilled to see the comments coming in. This means it's definately going to be a two way venture. Yipee, Joy x
Anonymous said…
Hi Joy, really enjoyed watching you cutting out strips for log cabin blocks. It is quite some time since I did log cabin so this has inspired me and when I have finished my present project I just might give this a go. Last time I did log cabin I used 1 1/2" strips but like the idea of wider ones, make the blocks grow faster - if you get my drift. Great to see you use your ruler for measuring before cutting - I do the same and try to pass this onto others. I find you get a better measurement than using lines on cutting board.
Friday morning here, Thursday night for you. We have had a really long hot and dry summer, wonder if our winter will follow what you have had in the Northern Hemisphere?
Quilty hugs, Joy NZ
Joy Richardson said…
I didn't really mean to be anonymous - not sure how that happened. :o)
Joyofquilting said…
That's ok, I knew it was you. I'm not sure how lots of things happen on-line. I'm sure sometimes it has a mind of it's own. I'm glad you are now inspired to think about a logcabin quilt. The picture of the logcabin blocks I have posted today were made using a jelly roll I had and that's two and a half inch strips! And as you said, with wider strips the blocks grow quickly.
Unknown said…
I'm new to all this computing malarky and don't know what buttons to press, so if you get this let me know. Loved the video but you were headless!
Joy Richardson said…
I need to make seat covers for my dining chairs as they are a very light colour (inherited them when I bought this house) and so of course they show every little mark. Think I might do them in log cabin, easier than looking for another pattern. You are an inspiration, love ya x
Joyofquilting said…
That sounds like a good idea Joy. Send me a pic of the finished seat covers.

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese Boro Bag

Boro Stitching - Needles & Threads

Boro Inspired Stitching